Monday 7 October 2013

Mishti potol - sweet parwal(pointed gourd)

Mishti potol is one such sweet of Bengal which is v less talked about as compared to other sweets and deserts. First time I saw it in a sweet shop in Kolkata(I am a probashi banagali belonging from MP), I found it very innovating and appealing. This sweet is rarely seen in sweet shops there. It was too sweet for my palate,but nonetheless  I liked it. Originally it's made with khoya filling,but in Noida where I stay khoya is seldom found. So I went ahead and made this with paneer,coconut and jaggery and can safely say that I liked the taste better.
Durga puja celebration has started in full swing and along with food expedition,I am busy planning with my sarees and listing pandals to be visited. For many of us this time is special be it Navratri or Durga puja celebration.Hope you enjoy this sweet and enjoy with family.

Ingredients

1. Potol/parwal/pointed gourd - 6 nos
2. Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
3. Jaggery - 1/2 cup
4. Paneer - 1/2 cup
5. Sugar - 1 cup
6. Green cardamom - 1 no

Method

Peel the potol, cut from one end and scoop out the seeds. I find it easy to scoop with the lower side of a spoon. Pressure cook the potol for 1 whistle,drain and keep aside. Now in a pot add sugar with 1 cup water,boil till the sugar dissolves. Add potol to the syrup along with green cardamom and boil for 2 to 3 mins. Let it cool in the syrup itself.
In a pan add paneer,grated coconut,jaggery and cook till all the moisture has evaporated and oil starts releasing. Once it cools down,fill this stuffing in the potol. Refridgerate for 2 hrs.Tastes best when served cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment